Are you interested in being a Parent Governor?
1 Nov 2022
I am writing to inform you of 3 vacancies for the role of parent governor on the Linwood School Governing Board.
The role of the governing board
The school’s governing board, together with the Executive Headteacher, is responsible for providing confident and strategic leadership, and creating robust accountability, oversight and assurance for the school’s educational and financial performance. The board is passionate about special education and committed to continuous school improvement to ensure the best possible outcomes for all our pupils across six campuses.
The role of a parent governor
As a parent governor, you will work with the board to ensure it effectively carries out the duties referred to above. You’ll also play a vital role in ensuring that the board is connected with, and is aware of, the views of parents and the local community. The term of office is for 4 years.
To be a parent governor you should have:
- A strong commitment to the role and to improving outcomes for children and young people
- Good inter-personal skills, curiosity, and a willingness to learn and develop new skills
- The specific skills required to ensure the governing board delivers effective governance
The Governing Board is keen for candidates who have skills and /or experience in one of the following:
- Finance/financial planning
- Business/project management
Expectations of governors
All new governors are expected to fulfil the following:
- Attendance at meetings – 6 full governing board meetings per year (at this current time held remotely) (Wed mornings 10-12 noon) and 1 committee meeting per term (also held Wed mornings), also other occasional meetings as required
- Acceptance of, and consent to, the Governing Board Code of Conduct, which emphasizes the importance of appropriate conduct and maintaining confidentiality
- Attendance at free induction training and relevant ongoing training through their 4 year term of office
- Visits to the school and its campuses on as regular a basis as their current employment/other commitments allow.
Parents not qualified to apply for position as parent governor
The enclosed sheet summarises the circumstances under which someone cannot serve as a governor. In addition, parents/carers who have paid employment in the school for 500 or more hours per academic year or who are elected members of the Local Authority are not eligible to stand as a candidate.
Like to know more?
If you’d like to discuss the role and find out a bit more, please contact Laura Ekelund, one of our existing parent governors, for an informal chat: email@example.com
How to apply
If you’re interested in applying for the role, please complete the Candidate form (page 3) and the Qualifications and Disqualifications to serve as a parent governor declaration (page 4). If you would like a paper copy of this form, you can request one to be sent to you by calling Linwood School Reception on 01202 525107.
Please return the fully completed forms to Ruth Martin, Clerk to the Governing Board at firstname.lastname@example.org by Monday 14 November 2022. If we receive more applications than there are vacancies, a secret ballot will be undertaken. We will inform you closer to the time if we have to do this.
If you have any queries about this process or would like to find out more about the role, please contact Ruth Martin, Clerk to the Governing Board or Christine (Chris) Purdy, Chair of the Governing Board via email email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org