At Linwood we aim for all our students to enjoy reading and writing and to decode books and write to the best of their ability.
- Early Years and Vita classes use Read Write Inc phonics.
- Older students learning phonics follow the Fresh Start programme, which is a continuation of Read Write Inc.
- We share stories and encourage reading daily.
Read Write Inc (RWI) is a phonics programme which helps children learn to read and also supports their skills in comprehension, vocabulary and spelling.
RWI was developed by Ruth Miskin and more information on this can be found at: https://www.ruthmiskin.com/parents/
How will RWI be taught?
All children are assessed regularly by teachers so that they know what level pupils are working at.
- We use Read Wrtie Inc to teach the 44 sounds and the corresponding letters/letter groups using simple picture prompts
- Pupils learn to read words using “Fred talk” and sound blending
- Pupils read from a range of storybooks and non-fictions books matched to their phonic knowledge
- Pupils develop comprehension skills in stories by answering questions about what they have just read.
- As well as learning to read and blend real words children will have plenty of opportunities to apply their sound recognition skills by reading ‘alien words’. These are made up words using the sounds that the pupils have been taught.
- Pupils learn to write and form the letters/letter groups which represent the 44 sounds.
- Pupils learn to write words by using their phonic knowledge to sound out and spell.
- Pupils learn to build sentences by practising sentences out loud before they write.
Early Years and Vita classes follow the Read Write Inc reading scheme.
Lumos students follow the Dockside reading scheme.
Lumos students who need extra support with reading are offered intervention support with a specialist teacher.