If parents/carers need to contact teachers in the event of a closure, their email will be the teacher’s name (no dots in between) followed by @linwood.bournemouth.sch.uk.
Brilliant Publications have a large range of free materials and specially chosen books that have printable sheets, making them easy to assign as work to be undertaken at home. Activities have been designed to inspire and motivate pupils such as play activities, activities to promote speaking and listening, activities relating to the weather, and science and technology activities for the outdoor environment.
Free downloadable learning activity books for KS1 & KS2
Twinkl offer great printable resources and a free resource pack for parents.
To support during this period, Twinkl is also offering parents and carers access to all Twinkl resources with a One Month Ultimate Membership, totally free of charge. Go to www.twinkl.co.uk/offer and enter the code UKTWINKLHELPS. You will need to set up an account for this.
The Kindness School Foundation issue a weekly Kindness Calendar, which includes a daily kindness activity.
New Kindness Calendars are released every Wednesday for the following week.
You can download the calendar here: https://www.kindness-school.org/kindness-calendar
Suggested activities to keep children busy:
Hygge 5 Day HomePack 2 – activities based on open ended play & child initiated learning
- Begin to learn a new skill perhaps touch typing, a new language, an instrument etc.
- Use your household recycling in order to create a junk modeling sculpture.
- Bird watch out of your window and see if you can identify the birds online.
- Play some family games such as charades, cards or board games.
- Build a tower using playing cards.
- Research a famous landmark, build it out of lego.
- Learn how to do a new household job such as loading the washing machine, folding laundry, preparing food or dusting.
- Have a telephone call with a family member or friend who you have not seen in a while.
- Watch a film and write a review of it.
- Read a book and write a review of it.
- Write an email to your teacher about what you have been doing during the time off.
- Plant a seed and help it to grow.
- If you could invent something what would it be? Draw and label your new invention – you could even create a prototype out of junk modelling/arts and crafts materials.
- If you have a pet, teach it a new trick.
- Create a den out of blankets and pillows.
- Use a torch and put on a shadow puppet show.
- Make up a dance routine for your favourite song.
- Have a karaoke night and rate your family out of 10.
- Do some yoga – there are some fantastic videos on you tube to follow along with.
- Create an art gallery at home and fill it with drawings/paintings/models.
Maths and English
https://www.themathsfactor.com – Carol Vorderman’s maths school is currently free while schools are closed (normally £2/week). It’s aimed at 4 to 11-year-olds.
https://www.phonicsplay.co.uk – Phonics Play is free to use during this period. No subscription is needed.
To access their resources, log on with username: march20 password: home
https://www.ruthmiskin.com/en/find-out-more/parents/ – free phonics lesson videos for children
https://www.sounds-write.co.uk/ – free parents course at bottom of the page
https://stories.audible.com/start-listen – listen to 100s of kids’ audio books. All stories are free to stream on your desktop, laptop, phone or tablet. Stories include Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland, The Secret Garden, Winnie the Pooh and Timeless Tales of Beatrix Potter.
https://www.worldofdavidwalliams.com/elevenses/ – listen to a story read by David Walliams every day at 11am
Physical Activity & Wellbeing
https://www.youtube.com/thebodycoachtv – every weekday at 9am, Joe Wicks (aka ‘The Body Coach’) is live-streaming a 30-minute PE class on his YouTube channel for free . If you can’t tune in then, don’t worry – you can watch them back whenever you want. If your kids are getting restless, this is a great way to get them burning off some energy while they’re stuck indoors, and a fun way to start the day if you’re home-schooling.
https://www.calm.com/blog/take-a-deep-breath#calmkids – meditation to help those struggling with anxiety and stress at this time.
Arts & Crafts
https://www.audacityteam.org – free open source audio software
https://chatterpack.net – list of resources for home learning
https://www.minecraft.net/en-us/marketplace/education – 12 free digital educational lessons available for download